As per Chancellor' Regulation A-655:
- All SLTs should have a minimum of 10 members and a maximum of 17 members.
- The only three mandatory members of the SLT are the principal, PTA President, and UFT Chapter Leader (or their designees).
- SLTs must include other parents and staff from the school with an equal number of parents and staff.
The fundamental purpose of the school leadership team is to determine the school’s educational direction –that is, the school’s overall educational vision, its goals and priorities, the strategies that will be used to achieve that vision and the alignment of resources to accomplish those strategies. To be effective, the team will need to develop a culture in which there is a shared goal for all children to achieve high levels of learning and a spirit of partnership among all constituencies to achieve this goal. The SLT's core responsibilities include:
- Develop the Comprehensive Educational Plan (CEP)
- Shape path to a collaborative school culture
- Develop school-based educational policies aligned with the school-based budget (Galaxy Table of Organization –Public View)
- Work in a collaborative manner to understand and evaluate effect on student achievement